Sunday, September 9, 2012

Our First Egg

Today, when I went to feed and water the chicks I peeked into the coop and noticed that the nesting boxes both had big depressions indicating that they had gotten some use, so I decided it was time to put a wooden egg into each box so they really got the idea that both boxes should be used.  When I went in the house one of our hens was making some louder then usual clucking sounds and when I went to put the eggs in the boxes, Sadie our Dominique hen was in one of the boxes so put an egg in the unused box and a few minutes later when she got out Terri noticed that she had laid her first egg.

That's me below holding the cute little brown egg that was still warm, I went right inside an put it in the refrigerator. To the left is a picture of our first egg before we plucked it from the box and replaced it with the wooden version.

Sadie is the oldest of the hens, I think she was about 3 weeks old when I picked her from the brooder full of chicks. Goldie was about two weeks old when I brought her home so maybe she will be next. We are so excited right now, and happy that these hens are finally "earning their keep."


No comments:

Post a Comment